Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting ready..

This past weekend (Labor Day Weekend) we pulled the trailer out, unloaded, cleaned and reloaded everything. We made sure our supply of essentials was stocked up and added a new chair to the trailer.

Pat was practicing apple desserts, apple / pork main dishes and apple salads. Yepper, we are going to the Silver Lake Michian Apple Festival and BBQ cook off 9/11 & 9/12. Go to http://www.thinkdunes.com/apple--bbq-cook-off-festival-42/ and check it out. Looks like its going to be a fun time. BTW they supply the apples.

I trimmed my brisket today. The brisket started out at a shade over 13 pounds. After trimming its about 11 pounds. Big drop due to fat. However, it looks like it has a bigger point and a smaller flat. We'll se how it cooks when the time comes.

Pat took the ribs and the last of the pork butts out of the freezer. I got a good deal at the beginning of the year on butts. They were 99cents a pound so I got 2 cases. When I buy spares, I buy them by the case for a better price. They come in 2 slab cryovac packages, 3 packages to a case. I cook 4 slabs and freeze 2 for later use.

This cook I'm going to cook 3 slabs of loin backs and 2 slabs of spares. Why? Because they were in the freezer and I didn't have to buy more. They'll get trimmed Tuesday evening.

The butts and chicken will get trimmed at the contest. It gives me something to do, to keep out of Pat's way while she does the side contests.

Da Dude

We are ready to kick butt... pork butt that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment